This strategy applies to GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited and to the group of companies headed by GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited in accordance with paragraphs 19 and 25 of Schedule 19 to the Finance Act 2016. A list of the entities to which it applies is set out below. In this strategy, references to ‘GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’, ‘the firm’ or ‘the group’ are to all these entities. The strategy is being published in accordance with paragraph 16(4) of the Schedule.
This strategy applies from the date of publication until it is superseded. References to ‘UK Taxation’ are to the taxes and duties set out in paragraph 15(1) of the Schedule which include Income Tax, Corporation Tax, PAYE, NIC, VAT, Insurance Premium Tax and Stamp Duty Land Tax. References to ‘tax’, ‘taxes’ or ‘taxation’ are to UK taxation and to all corresponding worldwide taxes and similar duties in respect of which the Group has legal responsibilities.
GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited is committed to full compliance with all statutory obligations and full disclosure to relevant tax authorities. The group’s tax affairs are managed in a way which takes into account the group’s wider corporate reputation in line with GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’s overall high standards of governance.
Governance in relation to UK taxation
• Ultimate responsibility for GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’s tax strategy and compliance rests with the Board of GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited;
• Executive management of the group is delegated by the Board to the Chief Executive Officer (‘CEO’);
• The CEO is the Board member with executive responsibility for tax matters;
• Day-to-day management of GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’s tax affairs is delegated to the Group Financial and Business Administration Controller, who reports to the CEO;
• The GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited finance department is staffed with appropriately qualified individuals;
• The Board ensures that GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’s tax strategy is one of the factors considered in all investments and significant business decisions taken;
• GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited operates a system of tax risk assessment and controls as a component of the overall internal control framework applicable to the group’s financial reporting system;
• GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited seeks to reduce the level of tax risk arising from its operations as far as is reasonably practicable by ensuring that reasonable care is applied in relation to all processes which could materially affect its compliance with its tax obligations;
• Processes relating to different taxes are allocated to appropriate process owners, who carry out a review of activities and processes to identify key risks and mitigating controls in place. These key risks are monitored for business and legislative changes which may impact them and changes to processes or controls are made when required;
• Appropriate training is carried out for staff outside finance department who manage or process matters which have tax implications;
• Advice is sought from external advisers where appropriate.
Attitude towards tax planning and level of risk
GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited manages risks to ensure compliance with legal requirements in a manner which ensures payment of the right amount of tax.
When entering into commercial transactions, GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited seeks to take advantage of available tax incentives, reliefs and exemptions in line with, and in the spirit of, tax legislation. GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited does not undertake tax planning unrelated to such commercial transactions.
The level of risk which GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited accepts in relation to UK taxation is consistent with its overall objective of achieving certainty in the group’s tax affairs. At all times GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited seeks to comply fully with its regulatory and other obligations and to act in a way which upholds its reputation as a responsible corporate citizen. In relation to any specific issue or transaction, the Board is ultimately responsible for identifying the risks, including tax risks, which need to be addressed and for determining what actions should be taken to manage those risks, having regard to the materiality of the amounts and obligations in question.
Relationship with HMRC
GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited seeks to have a transparent and constructive relationship with HMRC through regular meetings and communication in respect of developments in GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited’s business, current, future and retrospective tax risks, and interpretation of the law in relation to all relevant taxes.
GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited ensures that HMRC is kept aware of significant transactions and changes in the business and seeks to discuss any tax issues arising at an early stage. When submitting tax computations and returns to HMRC, GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited discloses all relevant facts and identifies any transactions or issues where it considers that there is potential for the tax treatment to be uncertain.
Any inadvertent errors in submissions made to HMRC are fully disclosed as soon as reasonably practicable after they are identified.
List of entities covered by this Tax Strategy
GS Yuasa Battery Europe Limited
GS Yuasa Battery Manufacturing UK Limited
GS Yuasa Battery Sales UK Limited
GS Yuasa Battery Germany GmbH
GS Yuasa Battery France S.A.
GS Yuasa Battery Italy Srl
GS Yuasa Battery Iberia S.A.